Read Time:6 Minute, 20 Second
What does the research say?A study from Dartnell Corp. investigated the number of times a prospect was called before a salesperson gave up. Here is their data:
- 48 percent quit after the first contact
- 72 percent stop after the second contact
- 84 percent give up on a prospect after the third contact
- 90 percent wave the white flag after the fourth contact
Use technology tools to help you follow up efficientlyHave you ever remembered to follow up with a customer who was interested only to find out that you forgot to get valuable information about them? Such as their name or contact number? Or what they were even interested in in the first place? It doesn’t seem that professional when you call a customer and say “So I know you were interested in our product, what was your name again?” Get their name and best phone number so you can contact them about further details and agreements. Using some simple lead follow up tools can help you make sure that you have quality follow ups with all the details about your customer documented. I would recommend using a program like Trello or my favorite, Evernote to take notes about a customer. With these programs you can make a detailed note on your customer’s name, contact info, products interested in, and when to follow up. I like both of these programs because they can span across multiple devices. You can take notes on a tablet, phone, or PC and have the notes accessible on any device. Other than these, if you can find a great lead tracking tool such as this one, it will make keeping up with your leads easier.
Get personal with your customerKnowing about your customer can help you significantly in your follow up. Before they leave, find out something about them that will make it easier to spark a conversation when you do call them to follow up. Some examples could be:
- Any vacation plans coming up?
- Are you doing anything exciting this summer?
- When is your birthday or anniversary?
- Are you usually available on the weekends?
- Can I touch base with you in a few weeks? When are your best days?
- Do you think you will have made a decision by (date)?
- Do you answer your phone or emails faster?